Dr. Bernardo Rapoport is a Medical Oncologist in Private Practice in Johannesburg, South Africa. Qualified as a Medical Doctor in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1978. Completed Internship at Tel Aviv University, Israel. Completed Registrarship in Internal Medicine at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg.
Completed Fellowship in Medical Oncology at the University of Pretoria where he worked as Senior Consultant and Senior Lecturer in the Department of Medical Oncology until 1993.
1993 - current: Medical Oncologist Principal Investigator of the Clinical Trial Unit at the Medical Oncology Centre of Rosebank. He is involved as an examiner in the sub-speciality certificate of Medical Oncology for the College of Medicine of South Africa and has been involved as examiner for the MMed in Radiation Oncology at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
He is a longstanding member of the following Professional Societies:
- South African Society of Clinical Oncology (SASMO) - he has been on the Executive Committee for 20 years, and serves as current Chairman of the Society.
- Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) - Member of the Board of Directors of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) and Chairman of the MASCC Infection and Myelosupression Study Group. He is also a member of the MASCC Antiemetic Guidelines Working Group as well as the Skin Toxicity Study Group.
- European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO).
- American Society of Medical Oncology (ASCO).
- He is a Director of the South African Oncology Consortium (SAOC).
He has published widely with more than 70 articles in peer reviewed journals. He has presented more than 100 abstracts locally and internationally (including ASCO, MASCC and ESMO). He serves as reviewers of abstracts and publications in Scientific Journals including Jounal of Supportive Care in Cancer, American Journal of Clinical Oncology (JCO) and Annals of Oncology.
His areas of professional interest include:
- Cancer Supportive Care: Antiemetics and Infections in Cancer.
- Breast Cancer.
- Solid Tumours.
- New Anticancer Agents.
He has served on steering committees for pivotal clinical trials in oncology, and has been involved in clinical trials in oncology for over 25 years. He also serves on both local and international Advisory Boards.